AKAM RESEARCH/SERVICE AWARD & SCHOLARSHIP
The Association of Korean American Medical Graduates (AKAM) is a physician organization dedicated to promoting awareness of healthcare issues that specifically affect Korean-Americans. As the Korean population in the United States has grown, many physicians in the Korean-American community have recognized that some issues specifically affect the health of our community. These issues can stem from biological and cultural differences, including behaviors, diet, habits, and beliefs.
Some examples of these issues include: increased rates of gastric cancer, liver cancer and lung cancer, differences in breast cancer among Korean women, increased rates of Hepatitis B infection, higher rates of cosmetic surgeries, higher rates of diabetes at lower Body Mass Index, high prevalence of tobacco use, higher rates of tuberculosis re-activation, higher suicide rates, poor access to care, and problems with elder and end-of-life care.
To help address some of these problems, AKAM sponsors this grant/service award. The award will be given to applicants pursuing either a research or service project which addresses different medical issues that specifically affect Korean-Americans. The recipient of the award will receive a $5000 grant to support the project. The awardee is required to submit a summary of the project and will be given an opportunity to present their findings at the AKAM Awards dinner.
In addition, we also offer sponsorship for Korean-American students or physicians who wish to participate in medical/humanitarian missions. The amount awarded will be considered on a discretionary basis.
Applicant must be enrolled in a medical school, residency, or fellowship training program in the United States. Each applicant must conduct the project in conjunction with a physician mentor or supervisor to oversee the project.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31, 2018
FUNDING: $5000 for research or service project. Up to $2000 for medical mission.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE (Please submit the following.)
1) Updated curriculum vitae that includes:
• The applicant’s name and degree, mailing address, phone number and e-mail address
• Current medical school, residency, fellowship or research program
2) Project description: For research projects, please include the title of the project, background and rationale, the purpose of the study, and methods with any relevant references. For service projects, please include the rationale, purpose of the project, target population, and feasibility. For a medical mission, a brief description will suffice. The description should be approximately 500 words. For each type of project a proposed budget must be submitted.
3) Mentor statement. A letter of support from the applicant’s faculty or collaborating mentor should be submitted confirming the proposed or current collaboration and the applicant’s current status in a graduate/medical/research training program. If the applicant has a proposal but no identified mentor, AKAM can assist in locating one for the applicant.
• Please Email the CV, Project Description, Mentor Statement to our officers at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Include “AKAM Award” in the subject line.
The award and/or scholarship recipients will be notified by April 15, 2018.
- Send Essays to: email@example.com OR https://www.dropbox.com/request/eyuyGpSXPfext1GwKGbz
- Fill out our ONLINE APPLICATION.
Please contact us if you have any questions.